The Research Association 3-D MID e.V. is still looking for companies to accompany the project.
If you are interested, please contact the office. E-Mail to office
The focus of this project is on the implementation of a complete 60 GHz (mmWave) RFID system that can be used directly by SMEs for the authentication of products. Such an mmWave system consists of tiny transponders, compact, low-cost readers, secure cryptographic algorithms and a cloud-based software infrastructure.
The second primary research goal is to provide a cloud-based software infrastructure including secure cryptographic algorithms. The offline procedure currently used in the proof of concept is to be replaced by a cloud-based authentication procedure to increase the security of the overall solution.
The idea behind this is to use hardware accelerators in the transponder circuit to implement cryptographically secure algorithms, so-called challenge-response procedures, which guarantee mutual authentication between transponder and reader. This is intended to ensure that the private keys (secrets) as the basis for product authentication never leave the secure memory. Even if the communication between reader and transponder is recorded, no usable information can be obtained by potential attackers.
Benefits for SMEs
- Complete system solution available (tiny transponders, cryptographic algorithms, cloud based software infrastructure, mobile, low cost readers)
- Protection against plagiarism: reduction of revenue losses, protection of investments and R&D
- Monitoring the production and logistics chain
- Authentication by end customers possible without investment in infrastructure
- Fraunhofer Institute for Photonic Microsystems (IPMS)
- Gdańsk University of Technology, Poland